How to Use Remote Start
How to Use Remote Start
Posted on March 24, 2021
Many Midland Honda customers are fortunate in having the automatic car start button on their key fob. This feature makes starting your vehicle not only convenient but it helps maintain your engine’s peak performance. It is often the case that owners enter their vehicles, engage the start button, sometimes check their mirrors then move the transmission to ‘D’ and drive away. Seems normal and uneventful but over time quick departures could add some wear to the vehicle’s engine especially during the cold weather months. Using the auto start helps extend the lifetime of the engine by ensuring that the warming lubricating oil is able to move through-out the engine during this idle time. While you prepare to leave your home to travel consider including auto start into your routine in order to ready your vehicle’s engine and cabin as well.
The link to Matt Elmer’s Auto Start video is below. Midland Honda’s Tech Talk guru will show you how easy it is to use your fob for this purpose. The following bullet point list of auto start info and other fob features will add to Matt’s tutorial.
- On your fob press the lock button and within 5 seconds press and hold the remote-start button for 3 seconds.
- When the engine starts the vehicle’s turn signals will flash 6 times.
- Once started remotely the engine will run for 10 minutes then shut off.
- Extend the run time 10 minutes more by repeating the start procedure during the initial period.
- Honda security feature has a restart limit of 2 times. Engine will not start on third auto restart. To reset, enter car and start normally.
- Stop engine by pressing the remote-start button again, the vehicle’s turn signals will flash once when the engine stops.
- During vehicle start-up the climate control will work towards 21 degrees Celsius or 72 degrees Fahrenheit. On warm up days the internal thermostat will trigger the heaters and defrosters and the front seat heaters will be set to on in the low mode, but the indicator light will remain off. On cool down days the A/C will be engaged in recirculation mode.
- To begin driving depress brake pedal and press engine start/stop button briefly, car instrumentation and driver control will be activated.
- If your second vehicle remote fob is locked in the vehicle the auto start feature will not work.
- Another cool feature on fob — depress the unlock button then push and hold unlock button again — all windows including moon roof will open. If you don’t wish to enter car to close windows use key in the fob to close windows. Insert key into door, turn left once, centre the key then turn left again and hold and the windows will close. Turn key right once then right again and hold and the windows will open.
A couple of safety tips while using the Auto Start feature.
- Carbon monoxide gas is toxic and can rapidly accumulate in closed or even partly enclosed areas. Never use the remote engine starter with the vehicle parked in a garage or other areas with limited ventilation.
- Do not start the engine with this remote engine starter near flammable material such as dead grass, paper, oil, grease, wood, etc. The heat from the exhaust pipe can ignite the flammable material.
Enjoy entering your vehicle at just the right temperature, ready to go by using your auto start feature more often.
Until next time
Click this link for a tutorial on Remote Start: https://youtu.be/21M8-Ppm0Ho